Tiaban, New Mexico was a whistle stop on the railroad that ran East towards Clovis, New Mexico and Texas and West through Vaughn. Tiaban was a bustling community complete with post office, general store, a controversial saloon, and many notable characters. As trains were able to go greater distances without stopping for water and fuel, Tiaban slowly lost its importance. Drought and the Depression swallowed Tiaban and people moved away. Built in 1908, the Tiaban Presbyterian Church opened its doors in December of that year. The last service at the church was in 1936. Slowly crumbling, the church continues to be a source of continuing solace to travelers on US 60/84 to this day. On the walls inside the church are messages that range from the "Kilroy was here" type to inspirational messages and prayers of hope.
|Photo Location:||Tiaban, New Mexico, New Mexico, United States of America|
|Copyright:||© David Douglas|