Mina S.Domingos is a village located inside the Alentejo, near Mértola in Portugal. Their mining complex was one of the most important in Portugal. In 1858 begins the modern mining operations, initiated by the mining company "Mason & Barry". The work continued until 1965, the year of exhaustion of ore and mine closure. During this period, mining was done in the open air up to 120 feet deep, and the work continued through shafts and tunnels up to 400 meters. With the end of mining, the mining village fell into decay. This was the first village in Portugal to have electric light. The Image represents one of the most important parts of the mine and according to a recent study, the color and quality of the minerals is one of the places on the planet whose land is most similar to Mars.
|Photo Location:||Mina S.Domingos, Portugal|
|Copyright:||© João Coutinho|