Advertisement

16th Annual Smithsonian Magazine Photo Contest People
Woman in Hijab

This woman is a resident of a small village near the trading center of Namungalwe in Uganda. She is dressed in a traditional hijab worn by many Islamic women in the Buganda and Busoga subkingdoms within Uganda. According to a 2014 census, Muslims make up 15% of the population of Uganda, and Christians make up the other 85%. In addition to these two mainstream religions, belief in witchcraft is widespread, so much so that national newspapers provide coverage on issues of witchcraft.

Photo Detail
Date Taken: 07.2018
Date Uploaded: 08.2018
Photo Location: namungalwe, Uganda
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Copyright: © Ben Blankenship